"I will spend most of my life and eternity knowing my children as adults,
but for a few short years I have the privilege of knowing them as children."
- Hilary Weeks

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

She Blew It!

A momentous occasion transpired in our family yesterday. Kyle lost his first tooth! It's been loose for about a week, but he was really nervous about it falling out and refused to try to help it along. But yesterday morning Jared got mad at Kyle about something and hit him in the face and ended up knocking his tooth out. It's about time!! Uh, I mean, "No Jared, we don't hit!" Kyle was so excited to put his tooth under his pillow last night and see what the Tooth Fairy would leave for him. He made sure it was placed just right so she would be able to find it and then he went to sleep.
This morning as I was in the shower I heard Kyle yelling from outside the bathroom door, "Mom, the Tooth Fairy didn't leave me anything!!" Oh no! I pretended like I couldn't hear him and yelled back that I'd talk to him when I got out. I couldn't believe that we forgot to leave him something! It was all he could talk about the night before, but we were so exhausted after getting them all to bed that we completely forgot about it. I quickly looked around my room for some money. All I could find was a $5 bill in my jewelry box. Knowing the Tooth Fairy wouldn't be able to keep up with that kind of generosity, I had to sneak out to the hall and grab my purse. But all I found in my wallet was a $20, another $5 and some pennies. Shoot! Then I remembered that I had a Sacagawea dollar in one of the pockets in my purse (it had been there for years) and decided that it would have to do. I wrote a message on a post-it note, stuck it to the dollar coin and then snuck out into the hallway. The coast was clear so I dashed to Kyle's room and dropped the treasure next to his bed and then ran back out. He came down the hall and sadly told me that the Tooth Fairy didn't leave him anything. I told him to go check again and he showed me that there wasn't anything under his pillow except for his tooth. "Maybe it fell off your bed. Did you look around the floor?" He immediately started looking around and discovered the loot in between his bed and the crib. "Oooohh! What did you get?" I asked. "I don't know. It looks like a big penny." He looked so disappointed. Until I had him read the words "One Dollar" on the back. That cheered him up. Phew...crisis averted. But that Tooth Fairy had better get her act together.

3 comments:

Diana Dye said...

Oh I love it. That's hilarious. What would you have done if you didn't have that dollar coin?

Steph said...

Oh man, I have come THIS CLOSE to doing that myself! I always catch myself and wake up with a bolt of lightening at like 4 AM.
You're pregnant...you have a pass. :)

April said...

Funny! Way to make the magic!!