"I will spend most of my life and eternity knowing my children as adults,
but for a few short years I have the privilege of knowing them as children."
- Hilary Weeks

Friday, September 17, 2010

Anyone Want Some Watermelon?

After the majority of our garden died from a combination of AZ heat and a forgetful garden water-er, the watermelon plants decided to go crazy. If you remember we built two garden boxes last spring. The five little plants in the second box are the watermelon. Here's what we've got today: The green turtle sandbox is under there somewhere. Since we're now in the middle of fall garden planting season, the watermelon has to go so we can put in an automatic watering system and get some new vegetables planted soon. I'm planning on peas, bulb onions, green onions, lettuce and spinach. I hope our fall garden will be more successful than our summer garden was.

2 comments:

Diana Dye said...

Oh my...that's kind of freaky. How are the watermelons?

Meredith said...

We picked a basketball-sized one today that was pretty good. I think we'll have to give most of them away. We also have a family of lizard living in all those vines. They're going to be pretty upset when we take away their home.